About Tipton Airport
Tipton Airport is a former U.S. Army airfield designated for privatization by the 1988 Base Realignment & Closure Act. The airport closed in 1995 and reopened on November 1, 1999 and is operated today by the Tipton Airport Authority, which is a state-chartered public corporation. The 366-acre facility is bordered by Ft. Meade and the Patuxent National Wildlife Refuge.
Tipton Airport is named in honor of William D. “Shorty” Tipton who was a Maryland native and career military pilot. Colonel Tipton was born in Jarrettsville, Maryland on December 11, 1892. He served as a pursuit pilot during WWI, spending the last four months of the War as a POW. He served in the National Guard and the Reserve Corps between the World Wars and entered active duty again in February of 1941. Colonel Tipton remained on active duty until he was killed in an aircraft accident on December 12, 1945.
Tipton has come a long way since opening as a public use Airport in November 1999. In that time we have resurfaced the runway and taxiways, installed both Jet-A and 100LL fueling systems, installed a MIRL system, and completed various improvements to our large hangars. While we continue to improve our existing facilities and infrastructure, we are pursuing a 1,200 foot runway extension. Our primary focus at this pint is completing the required comprehensive environmental assessment. While this assessment has been time consuming, the Authority is committed to constructing the runway extension and related projects.